We welcome our 2 newest members: Whitef0x, and that other guy I can't spell lol. Keep bugging Leynore, so he joins.

ncemen; getting Ale

in General Chat Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:43 pm
by yyys123 | 1.470 Posts

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Felix Hernandez has never felt better at the beginning of a season. That certainly bodes well for the former Cy Young Award winner. Hernandez took a shutout into the ninth inning, Dustin Ackley and Abraham Almonte hit home runs and the Mariners beat the Oakland Athletics 3-1 Saturday. Hernandez (2-0) retired the first 11 batters on the way to his 16th career win over the Athletics, his most against any team. Hernandez walked one and struck out eight while allowing a run on six hits over 8 1/3 innings. "My pitches were looking good all day long," Hernandez said. "I could throw them all for strikes. I felt strong and my pitches were there. Physically I feel great and I have all my pitches." Fernando Rodney, who struggled during spring training, got the final two outs to record his first save with the Mariners. Robinson Cano had two hits. "Im just working on locating my fastball in spring," Rodney said. "It was real good today; its the season." Dan Straily (0-1) allowed three runs on six hits over his six innings. He walked one and struck out seven. "It was disappointing," Straily said. "A two-seamer comes back over the plate and I yanked one. I did a good job of executing the game plan minus those two pitches." Straily carried a shutout into the fifth inning before Ackleys towering two-run shot gave the Mariners a 2-0 lead. With two outs, Almonte drove Strailys 1-0 pitch even deeper into the right field bleachers. "After seeing him a couple of times you get used to what hes got and can throw out better at bats," Ackley said. "There was a runner on third, maybe hes thinking about him, and gives me a pitch to hit." The way Hernandez was pitching, the run support was more than enough. "Id say for seven innings that might be the best weve seen him," As manager Bob Melvin said. "It seemed like his fastball had a little extra hop and he mixed in his breaking stuff well." Jed Lowrie, who hit a home run leading off the ninth, broke up Hernandezs no-hit bid with a two-out single in the fourth. Brandon Moss, who had two hits, followed with a bloop double but Hernandez struck out Yoenis Cespedes on three pitches. "I saw the same guy I saw last week," Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon said. "Hes pretty good. Ill take that every time." Coco Crisp tripled with one out in the sixth but was stranded there when Josh Donaldson struck out and Lowrie popped out. Hernandez improved his record to 67-3 when going at least seven innings and allowing three or fewer runs. "When we can score first it puts pressure on the other team and makes Felix even better," Ackley said. "If we got one run, I thought it would be enough the way he was pitching." The Mariners pitching staff extended their club record season-opening streak to allowing three or fewer runs to five. Hernandez, who turns 28 on Tuesday, ranks fourth on the all-time list with 1,722 strikeouts before the age of 28 behind Sam McDowell, Bert Blyleven and Walter Johnson. NOTES: RHP Sonny Gray (0-0, 0.00) will start Sundays series finale against the Mariners. Hes working on a 13-inning scoreless streak dating to last year after pitching six innings in the season opener. . Erasmo Ramirez (1-0, 2.57) starts for the Mariners. He gave up two runs on six hits over seven innings in his first start. . Cano is batting .342 (27 for 79) in his last 19 games in Oakland. . The As first four games averaged 3 hours, 29 minutes. . Hernandez is 5-0 in his last 10 games in Oakland. ... Cespedes, who has hit 10 homers against Seattle pitching, hit a ball into the left field bleachers in the ninth that curved foul a pitch before flying out to right. Dylan Strome Jersey . Coming off a 6-0 drubbing at Chelsea on Saturday, Arsenal endured another demoralizing result after rallying for a 2-1 lead -- only to concede a fluke equalizer. Arizona Coyotes Shirts .com) - Oregon wasnt going to let Arizona ruin its national title dreams for a second straight season. https://www.cheapcoyotes.com/ . They were right in that they responded to coach Randy Carlyles goaltending switch to erase a two-goal deficit. Martin Hanzal Jersey . Petersburg of the KHL. Belov was a free agent last summer when he signed a one-year contract with the Oilers. In 57 games this season he had one goal and six assists with 34 penalty minutes in Edmonton. Fredrik Sjostrom Jersey . -- Packers cornerback Tramon Williams has been fined $26,250 for contact with an official, per NFL guidelines.TSN Hockey Insiders Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger have the latest on why the New York Rangers may trade Ryan Callahan, Thomas Vaneks future after the winger rejected a long-term extension from the New York Islanders, and if the Raphael Diaz trade means another Vancouver Canucks defenceman is on the way out. Ryan Callahan trade talks caught a lot of people off guard. Details are now emerging about why the Rangers would consider such a move. Darren Dreger: He wants a lot of money. Its been widely reported that Callahan is looking for a seven-year term around $6 million per year. That is not accurate. Im told that it is more than $6.5 million but less than $7 million per year on a seven-year term. Whether its $6 million per year or, as we know now, closer to $7 million, thats a lot of money; too much for the Rangers. Theres not a lot of wiggle room in this negotiation and thats why Glen Sather is considering and working towards moving his captain. It seems like a pressing issue. What are the chances Callahan gets either signed or traded before this Fridays Olympic roster freeze? Dreger: 50/50. I know thats an easy guess to make but I would say its more unlikely to get done because there is a willingness to push this as far as you can. But in the meantime the Rangers also need to get as much in return as possible for Callahan. The Chris Stewart deal with the St. Louis Blues is still there; Stewart would be a part of that. The Rangers also have to pay attention to whats going on with Dan Girardi. If he doesnt come to terms this week with the Rangers and avoid potential of unrestricted free agency, perhaps that sends a message to Sather that hes going to unrestricted free agency and he then joins Callahan in the trade speculation. Sounds more and more like New York Islanders forward Thomas Vanek wants to be an unrestricted free agent this summer. What does that mean for potential deals? Bob McKenzie: Youre right. News broke on Monday morning that Vanek rejected a verbal offer ffrom the Islanders; a lucrative, long-term deal.dddddddddddd The implication of course being that now hes going to get unrestricted free agency. He wants to at least test the market and see whats out there. So the Islanders are looking at trade scenarios for Vanek between now and the March 5 trade deadline. GM Garth Snow will continue to try and sign Vanek; try and sweeten the pot and push to get something done, but by the same token, hes on a track where hes talking to teams and finding out what hes going to get. The Los Angeles Kings and Pittsburgh Penguins are amongst those teams that would be interested in getting a scoring winger, a rental at the deadline. Pittsburgh has some cap issues, but Vaneks exactly what the doctors ordered for a lot of contending teams. Vancouver gets another defenceman in the Raphael Diaz for Dale Weise trade but isnt that an overabundance? Does this lead us to believe the Canucks will deal a defenceman at some point? McKenzie: Everybody assumes that this is the precursor to moving one of their veteran defencemen; getting Alex Edler to waive his no-trade clause or what have you. I dont believe theres any relation to the Diaz trade and making another move. Right now you have Kevin Bieksa, Chris Tanev, and Yannick Weber all battling injury. In my opinion, getting Diaz is nothing more than taking a fourth-line grinder with limited ability in Weise, and sending him to the Canadiens for a puck-moving defenceman who had fallen out of favour. I think this is about the here and now. Thats not to say the Canucks wont make a trade down the road, but I think this move is self-explanatory. David Legwand is a lifelong Nashville Predator with 951 career games, might he move? McKenzie: The Predators are shopping Legwand hard. The price is expected to be a first- or second-round pick but keep in mind he has a full no-move clause and he will decide whether or not he wants to be a rental or whether he wants to play out the string with Nashville. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Bella Swan
Board Statistics
The forum has 2168 topics and 2220 posts.

0 members have been online today:

Visitor record: 104 users on Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:53 am..