We welcome our 2 newest members: Whitef0x, and that other guy I can't spell lol. Keep bugging Leynore, so he joins.

o stick to his plan, but Phi

in General Chat Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:10 am
by yyys123 | 1.470 Posts

SEATTLE -- Making his first big league start at first base and just his third appearance in the majors in nearly 13 months, Jesus Montero made strides in proving that he belongs with the Seattle Mariners. Montero hit his first big league home run in more than a year, played error-free in the field and helped the Mariners sweep a two-game set over the San Diego Padres with a 6-1 victory Tuesday. The former top catching prospect was suspended 50 games for his connection to the Biogenesis performance-enhancing drug investigation last year and began the season at Triple-A Tacoma. "I really appreciate the opportunity that the Mariners are giving me again," Montero said. "Its really hard for me, what I was going through last year -- very tough year. Little by little, was in Triple-A working hard to be here and they gave me an opportunity again, and I feel really happy that they were paying attention to me. Now Im here. "I just want to appreciate that opportunity that they give me again and I want to just help them, help them to win." Montero, who said he was using a heavier bat than usual as he normally does against left-handers, showed the power that has made him a top prospect by reaching out of the zone to pull a low pitch for a two-run homer to left in the second and give the Mariners a 2-1 lead. The two runs would prove to be enough for starter Roenis Elias, who pitched seven strong innings. Elias (6-5) allowed three hits and struck out six without a walk while facing the minimum in five innings. After failing to win a game for nearly a month, Elias has won three of his last four. The only mistake Elias made turned into a solo home run by Rene Rivera in the second. "It was a good day for me," Elias said through an interpreter. "I had control of it and went out and did what I was capable of doing. Thank God it worked out well for us." "He has a good, live, young arm," San Diego manager Bud Black said. "He threw some secondary pitches as the game went on when he was behind the count, which I think helped him." Robinson Cano added two more insurance runs in the fifth with his fourth home run of the season to give the Mariners a 4-1 lead and it was enough to chase San Diego starter Eric Stults. Stults (2-9) allowed four runs, six hits and a walk. The left-hander struck out five, but had trouble finding the strike zone consistently and needed a season-high 102 pitches. The Padres bullpen was unable to keep the game close, as reliever Tim Stauffer loaded the bases and then gave up a two-run double to Kyle Seager. The Seattle third baseman leads the team with 47 RBIs, the most by a Mariner through 71 games since Raul Ibanez had 49 in 2007. The Padres have scored two runs or less 10 times in the last 15 games and have recorded four hits or less 13 times this season. NOTES: The teams travel to San Diego for another two-game set. Seattle RHP Felix Hernandez and San Diego RHP Andrew Cashner are slated to pitch in the opener on Wednesday. ... Black said INF Jedd Gyorko (plantar fasciitis) is not close to returning from the 15-day DL, despite being eligible to be reinstated on Friday. Gyorko, though, may be able to shed his walking boot on Friday. Jonathan Lucroy Jersey . - The Chicago Bears have agreed to a one-year contract with free-agent centre Brian de la Puente. Jharel Cotton Jersey . -- Maxence Parrot of Bromont, Que. http://www.customcubsjersey.com/custom-craig-kimbrel-jersey-large-1660n.html .B. -- Canadian pairs skaters Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford went from elated to frustrated in the span of a few minutes. LaTroy Hawkins Jersey . Mired in an offensive slump, Lowry - the NBAs leader in taking charges this season - did what he has learned to do best, standing his ground and drawing a crucial offensive foul on the Cavaliers all-star point guard. Fast forward 30 seconds to the Cavs next possession, with the home team still trailing by three, Spencer Hawes - one of the leagues best passing big men - threw an interception, intended for Tyler Zeller and picked off by DeMar DeRozan. Kyle Ryan Jersey . -- Brendan Leipsic had two goals and an assist and Nicolas Petan extended his point streak to 11 games as the Portland Winterhawks slipped past the Red Deer Rebels 5-4 on Saturday in Western Hockey League action.Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) - Halloween is right around the corner and Philadelphia Flyers general manager Ron Hextall is already seeing an unwanted Ghost. That would be 21-year-old defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere, whose nickname is synonymous with the specters that decorate houses around this time of year. Ever since Hextall was elevated to Philadelphias GM role in May, he has preached not rushing his young prospects to the NHL level for the sake of keeping the Flyers borderline-competitive. However, he was left with no choice to turn to Gostisbehere and summon him from the minors following news on Friday that defensemen Braydon Coburn and Andrew MacDonald would miss about a month each with lower-body injuries. Suddenly, he was tasked with finding a replacement for players expected to log 20 minutes a game. So, with little cap room and no exclamation point-worthy external option, Hextall reluctantly turned to one of his more exciting prospects. In a perfect world, you let the kid stay there and play, but we dont live in a perfect world, Hextall told Philly.com. You know, you come up with a plan and vision and sometimes you have to adjust and be flexible. Assuming we dont make anything happen real quick here, well call up one guy and get through Saturday and go from there. Gostisbehere, a third-round pick by the Flyers in 2012, became a talked-about prize after he helped Union College to an NCAA title last season while being named the Frozen Fours most outstanding player. Thats big for any college player on its own, but the accomplishments carried an added bonus for Gostisbehere as the Frozen Four took place this year in his own adopted backyard of Philadelphia. Gostisbehere did, in fact, make his NHL debut on Saturday versus the Detroit Red Wings. Overall, he did nothing much to either impress Hextall or leave him regretting his decision in a 4-2 win. The blueliner logged 12 minutes and 27 seconds of ice time, the fewest of any Flyers defenseman in the game. He saw action for 2:47 on the power play and had a shot on goal with a minus-1 rating. The goal allowed on his watch may have been bad luck, but it also showed just how fast things can happen in the NHL. Gostisbehere lost his stick in the neutral zone and the Flyers ended up failing to clear the puck.dddddddddddd Detroits Pavel Datsyuk then got behind both Gostisbehere and defenseman Mark Streit, scoring a goal less than a minute after Philadelphia had gone ahead. I would say its a lot faster, Gostisbehere said of the NHL level. I was going to think the preseason was definitely a little step down. The guys had an extra gear out there and the sticks are incredible, quick sticks and stick on pucks and everything. Said Flyers coach Craig Berube of his young defenseman, I thought he was fine. Took him a few shifts to get out there with the power play, but when he got out there and settled down he did some good things. I thought he moved the puck well, got up the ice, was aggressive when he had to be. I thought he was fine. He looked fine to me. Fine wont keep you in the NHL too long and Philadelphia is out of action until Tuesday when it welcomes the defending Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. That starts a modest span of three games in five days, so there stands a chance that Ghost may stick through Halloween unless Hextall can make a quick move before facing the Kings. Yeah, he told me its not a perfect world, things happen, injuries happen of course. He told me not to try to do too much out there just get some quality minutes and its a great learning experience, and take everything in, Gostisbehere said of his talks with Hextall. Kudos to Hextall for wanting to stick to his plan, but Philadelphia already came into the season with a glaring weakness on defense thanks to the loss of veteran Kimmo Timonen to potential career-ending blood clots. Coburn, arguably the Flyers top defenseman, has not played since opening night and now MacDonald is out as well. If there is a silver lining, it is that Hextall has been given no choice but to play his young guy. Philadelphia isnt built this season to win a championship, so why not let Gostisbehere get seasoned now? Should Philly continue to be mediocre down the road, Hextall may eventually submit to temptation and give fellow young prospects Mark Alt and Robert Hagg a look as well. Few would blame him and he shouldnt be spooked out of rolling the dice a bit with his youth. ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Bella Swan
Board Statistics
The forum has 2168 topics and 2220 posts.

0 members have been online today:

Visitor record: 104 users on Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:53 am..