We welcome our 2 newest members: Whitef0x, and that other guy I can't spell lol. Keep bugging Leynore, so he joins.

en it is what it is. What

in General Chat Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:55 pm
by yyys123 | 1.470 Posts

MANCHESTER, England -- Reeling from arguably the most humiliating loss in the clubs illustrious history, the prospect of Manchester United being European champions by 2017 seems far-fetched. Yet that is the target new manager Louis van Gaal has set the team as part of an ambitious three-year plan. "I hope we are in the top four this season -- it suits a club like Man United," Van Gaal said Friday, "and then maybe the next step is to be (English) champions and then the next step is to be the winners of the Champions League." Those comments could invite ridicule considering how United performed last season under David Moyes and started this season under Van Gaal. After earning just one point from Premier League matches against Swansea and Sunderland, United lost 4-0 to third-tier MK Dons in the second round of the League Cup on Tuesday. Suddenly, the World Cup in Brazil -- where Van Gaal led the Netherlands to the semifinals last month -- seems a dim and distant memory. But Van Gaal is used to making bad starts at club level. Van Gaals Barcelona was 10th after 14 games of the 1998-99 season but still won the league. In 2009, Bayern Munich was seventh after 13 matches under the Dutchman but ended the season as champions. "When I started with the Dutch national team (in 2012), no one believed we could qualify (for the World Cup)," Van Gaal added. "After that, they said we wouldnt have any chance to get through the group stage, and after that (they said) well lose against every opponent." Given Uniteds start to the season and the squad depth of Premier League rivals Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and Liverpool, finishing in the top four would be some achievement. A first win of the campaign would do wonders for confidence and United is hoping that comes Saturday at Burnley, where Argentina midfielder Angel Di Maria is in contention to make his debut after sealing his move from Real Madrid for 59.7 million pounds ($99 million). "I think he is ready to play," said Van Gaal, who is without 10 players because of injury. It wont be Van Gaals first trip to Turf Moor. In 1992, he was there as coach of Ajax for a friendly that the Dutch club -- then UEFA Cup champion -- won 1-0 in front of a crowd of 10,746. "Yes, I was there!" Van Gaal said after a moments pause. "We won. I took over there in 1991, we won the UEFA Cup in the first season, in the second year we won the (Dutch) cup, and after the league. "It was a step in the process." Cheap Raptors Jerseys . The Professional Referee Organization, which manages game officials for the U.S. Soccer Federation and MLS, notified the Professional Soccer Referee Association of the lockout and said replacement officials will be used. Fake Raptors Jerseys . Here are some of the best from Week One and some to watch in Week Two: TOP PERFORMERS Anthony Allen, RB, Saskatchewan (176 YDS, 2 TD, 30 touches vs. Hamilton) - Powerfully-built back burst onto the scene in his CFL debut, after a couple of years in the NFL, playing 21 games with the Baltimore Ravens. https://www.cheapraptors.com/ . According to the CFL Scouting Bureaus January rankings, four of the top five Canadian prospects line-up on the offensive side of the trenches, which is good news for Bombers general manager Kyle Walters. With only one selection in the first two rounds — Walters sent his second-round pick to Saskatchewan in the days ahead of the 2013 trade deadline — the No. Raptors Jerseys 2020 . It certainly isnt a coincidence that Dwight Howard has scored at least 20 points in each game of the winning streak. Custom Toronto Raptors Jerseys .C. -- With a chance to start over and maybe drive in any series he wanted, Juan Pablo Montoya thought long and hard about what mattered most at this stage of his career.BUFFALO, N.Y. -- None too happy about Paul Ranger trying to kick the puck past him in the shootout, Buffalo Sabres goaltender Jhonas Enroth slashed the Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman as he skated by. "My first reaction was that he tried to embarrass me there a little bit, but when I look at it now, its good (the) guys trying to be creative, I guess," he said. Enroth had plenty of time to think because the shootout went an incredible 15 rounds, including 29 combined shooters who didnt score a goal. When it was over the Leafs had a 3-2 victory Saturday night thanks to Jay McClements winner, but the Sabres got their kicks out of the pre-season marathon. "At one point I think both refs were just going to call it a draw and kind of pick up the puck and go home and be old-school NHL there for a second and call it a tie," Sabres forward Steve Ott said. "But both performances by both goalies in the shootout was pretty spectacular to watch. Ive never seen that before." Leafs goaltender James Reimer stopped all 15 shots he saw after making 38 saves in regulation and overtime. Reimer went 0 for 5 in shootouts last season with a .625 save percentage, and wasnt making much of this. "Its good to get out there and for me to stop some pucks and for guys to get some reps, but its exhibition and its a little looser," Reimer said. "I think its a little different when its during a game and two points are on the line." Ranger probably wouldnt have tried this in a real game. He learned his "kick shot" from a friend at the age of 10 or 11 and perfected it enough that it beat goalies in practice plenty. "Its gotten to the point wwhere I can rip it pretty good, I feel like," he said.dddddddddddd "The cool part of it is I have no idea where its going, and the goalie doesnt either because I sure dont." Asked about Enroths slash and the idea that it was not the right thing to do, Ranger said: "Not the right thing to do? Im trying to score. Quite honestly its fun and, to be honest, Im not trying to show boat, and if he thought that, then it is what it is. Whatever." Ott gave Ranger credit for the kick being a "pretty heavy shot." But it was a deke by McClement that finally ended things. "A lot of light-heartenedness taking place on the bench," Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said. "A lot of guys betting on Jay, so we waited right till the end." Before the shootout, the game had the chippiness normally reserved for the regular season. It featured three fights, including Troy Bodie taking on Patrick Kaleta after the Sabres agitator went after captain Dion Phaneuf. From the Leafs perspective, Ott started the trouble before that dust-up. "I think Ott intentionally shot the puck at Dion," Carlyle said. "Thats what it appeared from where we were. Those are the kind of things that in exhibition are kind of questionable at this point." The Leafs and Sabres played on the edge all night. Carlyle said it the 15-round was something he had never seen before, but even for those with similar experiences this was something unique. "We had one in Rochester, I think we went through everybody except for maybe Joe Finley. I think we had a call-up score," Rolston said. "(This one) was bizarre, especially with no goals." ' ' '

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Bella Swan
Board Statistics
The forum has 2168 topics and 2220 posts.

0 members have been online today:

Visitor record: 104 users on Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:53 am..